WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Jun 22, 2009

BRINGING IT HOME

Every once in awhile, a great while, I'll see a show that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I could always count on that reaction if it was Francis Bacon.

Francis Bacon's Studio, Kensington


This is a photo of his studio, which had been in London. After his death the studio was painstakingly taken apart and re-assembled in Dublin.

CAN YOU IMAGINE DOING THAT WITH THIS ROOM?

I can't, but watching would be fun.

The Metropolitan Museum in NY is currently having a retrospective of his work, and it will run through August 16.

I think something that always fascinates artists are the sources used-the photos that some of the paintings were derived from. The collected trivia.

A sampling can be seen on the Mets website.


Bacon's early paintings are my particular favorites; if I can manage to get there, I'll get there.

This is a link to the first of six videos about Bacon

http://http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhaqwlZxJZI



4 comments:

  1. Good Heavens! ..and I thought I had piles of stuff.
    This makes me want to go and learn more. I always wondered about the energy behind the frightening paintings..this speaks tomes. Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am brand new as a visitor to your blog and am just blown away. I couldn't stop reading. You are a VERY talented writer and I love how you put things together (a grand artist too, of course). But your ideas about looking at studios (and your own quest for one) rings such a bell with all of us. And the studio here makes you just laugh out loud. No excuses, guys, we can paint anywhere. I drool over those fantastic studios in magazines...but...well I'll have to include some studio comments on my blog too. AND when I looked at your fireplace...how wonderful and I did the same thing (painted faux stones) on mine at the summer cabin. (photo on blog to follow). I would never have thought to share that. I actually made NOTES while I read your blog!!! I'll be back. Thanks so much.
    ginnystiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ginny. Ordinarily I'd delete a comment that included a link.
    But this is so flattering that my ego demands that it stand as written.
    Margery

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I thought my studio was messy. (It is.)

    ReplyDelete