WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Jun 4, 2009

PAINTING KEITH

Stage 1

So that you don't have to go back to Downloading Keith to compare.

Stage 3



Stage 6

I've skipped a few in-between stages. Particularly the last one where he had purple hair. To my way of thinking, (once I started thinking that is), he is his music and his clothes, and that's where the color should be. And that's why I preferred to work from a black and white photo.

Sometimes when something is done as well as I can do it, I stop and leave it. But this painting is particularly challenging, and I know it's not finished. I'm trying not to give him too much color, to keep the color in the clothes. And I'm not going to age him, he's doing a pretty good job of it without my help.

So I'll put it on a wall and wait until something about it really annoys me.

Sometimes it takes a really long time.

Jasper Johns once said " Take something, do something to it, then do something else to it."

4 comments:

  1. KeithR is PERFECT,period.

    A wonderful painting.

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. testing anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do I keep thinking of Dorian Grey? I love how sort of rubbery elastic his skin looks, which is very Keith (and also a lot how he talks).

    If I could paint like this...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He talks?
    Wouldn't it be fun to do a Steven King thing and have KR age in the painting, and find that he's looking younger all the time?
    Time for a self portrait.
    Thanks Ruthi

    ReplyDelete