WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Jul 27, 2009

GOING TO THE DOGS

A few years ago a member of the family sent me an email of his puppy. It was a low resolution snapshot, and she had a temporary case of pink eye as well. But I was intrigued, especially since I had never painted a dog. The scarf gave it some color possibilities, at least. The low resolution can be an advantage at times-in this case it prevented me from getting mired in detail.

There's always the possibility of terminal cuteness. But what the hell.

EMILY 18x14 acrylic/linen (c) Margery Caggiano
TWO TOYS 14x18 acrylic/linen (c) Margery Caggiano
I painted her again when I met her in person, who could resist?

3 comments:

  1. Both are great renditions....full of personality!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard an artist once say that a painting could never be as good as the photo it came from. I always thought that was incorrect. Thanks for proving that in the hands of a capable painter, the photo is just a starting place.

    That marvelous sneer keeps her out of the cute zone... almost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cathy.And RG.
    If you can't do something more with a photograph than just reproduce it, what's the point?
    Emilys chutzpah keeps her big setter-sister in line, and gives her the confidence to play with cats.

    ReplyDelete