WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Jul 30, 2009

IT'S ENDLESS

Lewis Zirkle left Pennsylvania and arrived in New Market, Virginia in 1760. He bought 1500 acres in the foothills of the Massanutten Mountains, built a small log cabin on Smith Creek, and a little later, built a field stone bank house a little north and on the other side of the creek. In Virginia, there are rivers, creeks, and runs. As a northerner, I consider Smith Creek a river, especially when it floods. Which may not matter to anyone but me, because it happens to be in my back yard.
Caves were discovered on the property in 1879, and that area later became Endless Caverns. There is more extensive information on the Internet about the recently updated caverns, and on the genealogy of the Zirkle family.


A few years ago I met a contractor who lived near the caverns who told me there was an abandoned field stone bank house on his property. I was immediately interested because my husband and I did some restoration on a similar house in Hillsboro, in Loudoun CountyVA, some years ago. (See my post Brushwashing, which included the faux stone fireplace.) He took me to see it-it's hidden and private-and it turned out to be very similar. Both houses had similar roots as well, Pennsylvania Quakers, who sure knew how to build to last.
I took photos of course, grateful to be a studio painter rather than Plein Aire. We have snakes, coyotes, and ticks, oh my.


ENDLESS 24x36 Acrylic on Linen (c)Margery Caggiano

Not to mention, buzzards. Who are only a threat if you're small or dead, or both.



1 comment:

  1. Love this post and the artwork especially, Margery.
    I am not dead but small and hate bugs which is also why I prefer the studio to plein air. Though under good near perfect situations(kinda like golf) I go and tough it out.:-))

    ReplyDelete