WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Jul 1, 2009

LANDSCAPE DESTROYED

SHORELINE 36' x 60" Acryic on Linen 2001 Margery Caggiano
About 1980 or so I took a photo of this landscape while standing on top of the dunes. The village is Sagaponack, on the south fork of Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
I thought it was one of the most beautiful places I had ever seen. I did two paintings, one at the time I took the photo, and again in 2001, slightly different.
The fields on the left were potato crops, grown right up to the edge of the dunes. It was rare to have to irrigate the potato fields because of the moist ocean air. And at the time, you could drive up a dirt road , park, and be almost alone on the beach. There were a lot of ways to access the beach, public, private, and farm roads.
FAST FORWARD TO LAST WEEK
While trying to kill interminable time at the terminal at Denver Airport, I bought or, mostly, picked up, any and every piece of reading material I could find. Including People (who are these people? And why?) A name caught my eye in the business section of the NY Times. (How often do I go there?)
IRA RENNERT!?

Ira Rennert-NY Times International-June 25, 2009 by Simon Romero Re:Toxic Site+Andes
I'll leave out the details, just quote what is revelant to this post. "Mr. Rennert is a NY billionaire, who built one of the largest homes in the United States, an Italianate mansion sprawling over more than 66,000 square feet (that's just the house, folks) in the Hamptons. whose privately held industrial empire includes a Peruvian smelting company named "Doe Run Peru", in La Oroya, high in the Andes. Quote: "LaOroya has been called one of the world's 10 most polluted places by the Blacksmith Institute, a non-profit group that studies toxic sites."
There is a lot more to this article, including "providing employment" while 97% of the chidren in La Oroya have toxic levels of lead in their bodies.

AS YOU MAY HAVE GUESSED, HIS MANSION WAS PLUNKED DOWN ON THE EDGE OF THE OCEAN IN SAGAPONACK
At the time, the Town of Southampton had no zoning regulations that would prevent building such a huge house. They had covered minimum size, height, dune protection etc. They have since closed the barn door as far as maximum size.
If you're interested, there's a lot more to be found online, in Dan's Papers, the Southampton Press archives, etc. If nothing else, check out how many bathrooms one man needs.
Personally, I think he should be sharing a cell with Bernie
PS- I decided to post the link below. I know its a free country, that birds eye maps can be an invasion of privacy. I don't care. Sue me

4 comments:

  1. Hats off to you, Margery, for this post..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Google Earth and found what must be the place -- complete with a private golf course!! The numerous formal gardens made me think of Marie "let them eat cake" Antoinette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A map is a map is a map.
    Google supplied it.
    We sue them first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you go to a map, The house is FairField, just west of Peters Path, which is the road I had taken to the dunes for the photo.The link at the bottom of the post is Microsofts Life Earth.Good luck sueing them. It.
    Kurt Vonnegut was a resident who vowed to move, but he's gone, and the house will be there forever.

    ReplyDelete