WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Jul 15, 2009

PAINTING ON BOARDS

It's been awhile since I painted with oils from scratch, rather than over an acrylic underpainting. Between that, and doing small paintings that aren't a casual kind of experiment has forced me to go back to school, in a way.

GOLDSMITH INLET Oil on Board 9x12" (c)Margery Caggiano

I think I need to change my approach to subject matter and size. It was never intentional, but whenever I've done figurative painting the figures have been life size or a little larger. So why a 9x12 landscape that should be a big painting isn't pleasing me, becomes obvious.

Shouda woulda coulda.

Better to go for segments, small glimpses, single objects that are nonetheless life-size.
As far as painting surface, I much prefer linen or canvas over board. I had a few pieces of Masonite that I had previously primed, and a roll of lovely oil-primed linen that's a bugger to stretch, (double primed even more so). I cut the linen about 2 inches bigger than the board, and glued it to the Masonite with acrylic gel. So we'll see.

GOLDSMITH INLET STAGE 1 (Gulls later)

This is an inlet in Peconic, on the Long Island Sound. The tides bring the gulls, one of my favorite birds. Almost as funny on the ground as Gary Larson's chickens. I never realized how big seagulls were until a motorist brought one to the vet wrapped in a towel while I was sitting in the waiting room with my cat. (He got goggle-eyed.) The gull had been hit by a car, and this particular vet (North Fork Vet.Hosp) would take in wounded gulls, ospreys, and even seals. Gratis.

What I want to know is, how did seagulls get to to the dump in Denver?

2 comments:

  1. They ARE funny and huge.
    Nice Vet...
    painting, too.

    Gulls in Denver??? Beats me...is this a test?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either the pickings are better or a tornado.
    No test, for real.
    Even on L.I., with the ocean nearby, they're in the Waldbaum's parking lot.

    ReplyDelete