WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Jul 5, 2009

A SILLY PAINTING

This is one of those paintings that never worked for me, maybe because I stopped too soon. I put it away and have been schlepping it around for years. I came across it this morning and decided that it was aged and cured enough to either finish it or toss it.

GREENPORT LIONS 1 7x10" Margery Caggiano

This was done on 1/4 " untempered Masonite, called floor underlayment in some areas of the country. Not to be confused with the more common 1/8 " tempered (oiled) Masonite. Under 16x20 or so it doesn't have to be backed. Larger sizes should be glued to stretchers or a 1x2" frame. I gave both sides a thinned coat of shellac sealer- BIN (shellac+ white pigment) will do. Then sand and give several coats of gesso, again both sides . An alternative is to glue linen or canvas to the Masonite, then gesso.

GREENPORT LIONS 2 7x10" Margery Caggiano
Since the first stage was done in thinned, almost transparent oils, I stayed with oil paint for this stage, and used some opaque colors. I lost the graphic quality of the first stage, which had more
drawing than painting.
I don't know if it's any better. I do know that it's even sillier, because the lions now look like dogs.

3 comments:

  1. Toss it.
    You can't win them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like it...foo dogs guarding the temple....

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about bo behind the screen door gazing out

    ReplyDelete