WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Aug 4, 2009

A PLEIN AIRE PAINTER

A PAINTER GOES TO WORK -VVanGogh


WHEATFIELD WITH CROWS- VVanGogh"

......but go and paint out -of-doors on the spot itself! Then all kinds of things happen. From the four paintings which you will receive, I had to wipe off at least a hundred and more flies; not counting the dust and sand; not counting that when one carries them for some hours across the heath and through the hedges, some thorns will scratch them; not counting that when one arrives on the heath after some hours' walk in the weather, one is tired and exhausted from the heat; not counting that the figures do not stand still like professional models, and the effects one wants to catch change with the passing day."

From "Dear Theo"- the letters of Vincent Van Gogh to his brother.

AN OLD MAN IN SORROW -VVanGogh

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous post and statement about painting outside! Leave it to passionate Vincent to speak the truth. Great images chosen for illustraiton, Margery.
    I enjoyed reading the former post, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently Blogger has been lagging on showing updates in my sidebar so I missed a whole bunch of your posts. Vincent's description of painting outdoors is exactly why I'm a studio painter!! Oh yeah, and bathrooms (or lack thereof)!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, and I think I sense a movement here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't he the greatest. And so tragic, his life. I wish there were some way he could know, postmortem, how much he is now admired.

    ReplyDelete