WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Aug 10, 2009

POLLOCK

ACCABONAC HARBOR Oil 20x24 (c)Margery Caggiano
This is a painting I did many years ago of Accabonac Harbor in The Springs, East Hampton. Not to put myself on the same page, so to speak, as Jackson Pollock, but to illustrate the connection I feel, and the lure of the place, at least as it used to be.


It was 53 years ago today that Jackson Pollocks' car didn't make the curve on Springs-Fireplace Rd, in Easthampton.
When we moved to a cottage in the area 15 years later, the tree he slammed into was still there, and had a huge scar- like an X that marks the spot. At the time he lived there Springs was a blue collar and fisherman's' village, and a lot of the locals were drinking buddies of his. The cottage that he and Lee Krasner lived in on the edge of Accabonac Harbor, is now the Pollock-Krasner Museum.
I've been watching some DVDs about artists via Netflix, which got me interested again. Although very few are done from an artists point of view. There are several about him, but some are really dumb. I highly recommend the BBC documentary named "Jackson Pollock, Love and Death on Long Island". Though a little too much time is spent interviewing his paramour, Ruth Kligman (in some Victorian, pseudo-arty and hopefully age hiding getup); she who survived the accident and wrote a book of course. Lee Krasner, a top notch painter in her own right, who gave up her painting to promote and nurture Pollock when she married him, was in Paris when he died. You can tell whose side I'm on.
Also interviewed in the documentary was Ed Harris, a little clueless, who played Pollock in the movie. Supposedly he has taken up painting as a sideline. As long as he doesn't give up his day job.
I tried to find an example of an early figurative painting of Pollocks', with no luck so far. He studied with Thomas Hart Benton, which seems a stretch, but the influence was obvious. I had read somewhere that Pollock wanted to get back to figurative painting. I'm sure he wanted to paint, not make paintings, and was trapped in a method that was making everyone rich. Life magazine put him on the map in 1948, but also referred to him as "Jack The Dripper".
He was beginning to be a bit of a joke (my dog can do that etc); and contributing to his notoriety were gleeful stories such as a drunken Pollock peeing in a collectors' fireplace.
(Try that, ladies, and see where it gets you)
His "action" paintings were done between the mid-forties and the early fifties. (He didn't paint during the year before his death.) Instead of posting an example of those paintings , I found two that I think bracket them in time.


Stenographic 1942 Jackson Pollock

Easter Totem 1953 Jackson Pollock

There is a website where you can do your own "Pollock", and Googles' image search is crammed with the results. Try it. http://www.jacksonpollock.org/

1 comment:

  1. What can I say, other that I find reading your opinions intellectually stimulating. I saw the film "Pollock" and I am laughing now, at the thought of Harris "taking up painting". Kinda like what ? Tony Bennett? OOps...you can tell how I feel about that, huh?
    I agree about the making of bio films on the artists' lives.
    And ....the lure of the water on Long Island.
    Off to check out the link.Thanks, Margery.

    ReplyDelete