WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Aug 10, 2009

TILEMAN

TILEMAN Acrylic on Linen 40x26
To continue the previous post, where I painted over a landscape.
This is one of those rare times when I can see it painted before I start. As a result it seems to go easier than most. Plus I'm always more comfortable painting people that I don't know, and more than likely may never see the painting. Our new house was finally being finished, and I was able to walk through and see the progress on a regular basis. As I was talking to the man who was setting the tile, I was also taking in the clothes and the colors. Luckily I had my camera, asked for a quick "stand by the window", and hoped for the best. It was a year or so before I got around to starting the painting. I probably gessoed over the landscape before I started him, but it might have been interesting if I hadn't. I didn't consider that for more than a few minutes. It would have been too much to deal with, trying to draw a figure on a vertical, very colorful landscape.The background was originally red-bless those acrylics-and as I repainted I left some of the red showing through. .

3 comments:

  1. This reclamation project was successful, Margery!
    I like this, I like seeing the whole figure, 'cause I remember liking the head on your previous posts on the sidebar. The red vibrating around the figure provides movement. Beautiful drawing with paint, and I love the attitude you caught in him. Too bad he can't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CathyA
    It was the attitude that did it, actually.
    And the yellow gloves.I had to invent the one on his hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did? I was just thinking how the yellows lead to and from the face, compositionally speaking and really thought it worked well.

    ReplyDelete