WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Sep 2, 2009

ALLA PRIMA

FIVE OR SIX CEDARS 15x21 Acrylic on Linen (c) Margery Caggiano
Sometimes I forget and call it Four or Five Cedars. Who's counting?
Sometimes things come together; events bring to mind a painting from "before" that has become "now." I'll be picking up this painting from a gallery, along with several others, in a few weeks. It's a favorite painting, one of a few done in 2002, where I experimented with the Alla Prima technique of putting the paint down and Leaving It Alone. Not easy for a nudge.
Which is why I'm not successful with it's counterpart, Plein Air.
I just can not do it outside.
But I've made a vow to try harder. I've been working on small sized canvases for starters. Anyhow, this landscape is on Platt Road in Orient, Long Island. We lived around the corner on the Main Road to the Orient Point Ferry. Extremely paintable beautiful area. The distant light is Hallocks Bay.
I'm not sure why the best paintings come out of the saddest times.
This painting was also the one picked for last years "Artists Over Sixty" feature in Artists Magazine. Now there is a conflict. To be in a magazine and give away my age, or not? Oy. They're doing it again this year, and now the artists are getting $100. Too bad it's not retroactive.

2 comments: