WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Sep 17, 2009

POQUATUCK HALL AND STAR TRUCK

POQUATUCK HALL Orient, NY Acrylic on Linen 24 x 32" 2001(C)Margery Caggiano

Up until yesterday this painting was on my website, but I decided to pare the site down and just leave the more recent paintings, while adding some new ones. Luckily, or not, I have a do-it-yourself website. I couldn't afford me otherwise.
We were living on Main Road in Orient in 2001, hopefully making some cosmetic improvements on a ca 1780 house. The Village of Orient is a little gem, and off the main road. Poquatuck Hall is the town hall, and adorned with a huge flag. For anyone not familiar with Long Island, we got rid of the natives many moons ago, and kept the names. I'm not sure I want to know what Poquatuck means.

I was working on this painting in September of 2001, and the flag itself on 9.11, believe it or not. The painting took on a whole new meaning for me. I changed it from sunlight, which bored me anyhow, to moonlight, which was a challenge. I've only done one other painting set in moonlight.

STAR TRUCK Oil on Canvas 16 x 20" 1980(c) Margery Caggiano

I was reminded by this blog, so dug this out of my archives. This truck was kept parked by the side of Montauk Highway in Wainscott, and had been a honey wagon belonging to the Town of Easthampton. Those were the days.

1 comment:

  1. Wooooow.........Your mastery of rendering night is awesome! I love these.

    ReplyDelete