WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Sep 5, 2009

PORTRAIT

FRIENDS 26x20 Oil on Linen (c) Margery Caggiano
I've been working on this; the combination of using an old photo for reference and using oils from scratch has been a bit of a hassle. I had a lead primed, stretched canvas, a lovely surface to paint on, and it was was nagging me to use it.
It's my oldest daughter on the left, who I've painted many times, and her best friend, who is still a good friend. There are still some things to be done on the painting..the tiniest changes can alter the expression. A good way to go nuts.
Time to put it down and start something else. Only I'm going back to an old method that I've used, doing a thin monochromatic underpainting (grisalle) in acrylic, then glazing and or scumbling in oils. I'll take photos in stages while doing the next portrait I have in mind.

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Haunting and quiet and lovely. I admire your restraint for going slowly. It's at this stage, my hand takes on a mind of it's own and I'm often rearranging facial features. Absolutely best way to go nuts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful in its subtlety and the unusal composition/ viewpoint is compelling.
    I look forward to seeing you post a WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the thoroughly modern arrangement of figures, and the elegant use of negative space. Great faces, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Liz and Cathyann, and you too RG-I guess you knew right away who the girl on the left is, or was.
    Tileman was a cakewalk compared to this one. Wnen getting a resemblance is the last thing on your mind, you somehow get it with no problem.
    It's like being on a bike and trying not to hit that pole.

    ReplyDelete