WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Oct 17, 2009

ANGLOPHILE GO HOME



I don't know why they haven't made a t-shirt with this. I for one would wear it.

Terry Gilliam's illustrations for Monty Pythons Flying Circus were the initial draw, so to speak, that in no time at all made me a fan when they first came to the USA via PBS in the seventies. Since then, with the advent of computers etc, the sketches have been swiped and so badly reproduced on YouTube that the Pythons decided to have their own YouTube channel, with links to buy their DVDs, books etc. (Can't blame them) But there are only 26 sketches that have been digitally improved.
Two of my favorites for this blog at any rate, are not on the list. One is The Art Gallery, (in drag and chomping on a Turner), the other is Picasso (painting) On a Bicycle. He falls off of course.
I don't think it has anything to do with my ancestors, but a lot of my favorite books, movies, comedians, and it seems, artists, are from the other side of the ocean.
From The Water Babies as a child, through Jane Austen, The Brontes, HG Wells, Robert Graves, George Orwell, Graham Greene, Roald Dahl, John Wyndham, Mary Shelley & Frankenstein , Breaking The Sound Barrier -great movie- to traveling the world with Michael Palin, to Pink Floyd (who put $20000 into Life of Brian) to of course the Stones. (Eric Clapton is canceled out by Jimi Hendrix, and the Beatles by Elvis) Come to think of it, Alice in Wonderland was written by an Englishman. But canceled out by The Wizard of OZ.
What the English don't have is jazz, the original, the roots. (And ok ok a few other things)

Right now, and for a few more days, I'm in a cottage on Tilghmans Island on Chesapeake Bay, and if I'd had the brains to pack my camera cable, I'd be feeding some photos into the PC
and writing my next blog.
Anything but what I'm doing, trying to put some magic into a stubborn painting.Blimey.

No comments:

Post a Comment