WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Oct 16, 2009

FREUD, NO NOT THAT ONE

Photo Courtesy of Max Wehlte
I love this palette. It's every ones' idea of An Artist in Action. Try this with acrylics

And I love this unfinished portrait of Francis Bacon, by Lucian Freud, grandson of Sigmund.

It appeals to me, not in spite of, but because it's unfinished, and shows the process. I think it epitomizes the magic and the lure of realist painting in general, and portraits in particular.

The two met in 1945, Bacon was 36, Freud 23. They became friends, and were destined to be subjects in each others paintings for many years. Freud sat while painting, so it was knee to knee with, so it was said, constant grumbling by Bacon, until he finally got up and left.
As a result, the portrait was never finished.
It was auctioned at Christies in 2008, and sold for $9,403,306 US

Portrait of Francis Bacon by Lucian Freud
This was the first of the only two portraits Freud did of Bacon, it took four months to paint in 1952.While it was on loan in Berlin it was stolen, and has disappeared.

The paintings of Lucian Freud by Francis Bacon, however, are a whole nother ballgame.

3 comments:

  1. Great portraits! Facinating concept, as well, the dual (or dueling) portrait sitting. Thanks for another cool art history lesson. Wish you'd taught at (any of my old) alma maters.

    And that palette... I see that going "SPLAT!!" face down, when that poor thumb gets worn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've inspired me to go and research for more info on these artists. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RG-Unless they invite you as an adjunct (I was lucky)No degree-no teachee.But thanks for the compliment (You too Sheila)
    As to the palette, I'm more concerned with that tipping turps.
    I wonder how much the teaching of art history
    has changed in the digital age.But theres nothing like getting up close and personal with the real thing- and making the guards nervous.

    ReplyDelete