WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Nov 3, 2009

COWS ARE NOT FOOD

Cows Are Not Food, Cows Are My Friends

HOLIDAY 9 x 12 Giclee Edition of 50 (c) Margery Caggiano


Once upon a time, my husband and I took the old Chevy pickup cross country, following back country roads . He fell in love with Nebraska and their shotgun surveying. Square and straight. Nothing much, that we saw, but miles of corn, and miles of sunflowers.

Heaven for a claustrophobe.

When we returned to Long Island, we bought an acre of farmland in Watermill. At the time it too was wide open, nothing there but potato fields, hayfields, and dairy farms, with the town comprised of a post office and a candy store, and an estate that housed retired nuns. The land was cheap at the time, and we could, and did, build a small house with studio space.
Heaven for a studio deprived painter.
Like still waters, still villages run deep. Turns out our farmer liked to ride naked on his motorcycle, our other neighbors were gender challenged, and a few doors down lived Carl Yastremskis' parents. (My husband was unimpressed, being a Cardinal fan.)
The neighbors to the north, being dairy cows, were naked but their gender was obvious. Meanwhile, our son had applied to join the Secret Service, and the Men in Black were required to interview our neighbors.
He got the job regardless.
The dairy farm was on the corner of Scuttlehole Road and Strongs Lane. The cows in the prints above were from photos I took at the farm. There was a milk machine on Montauk Highway which came in handy as you can see. The ocean was also nearby, and that also came in handy.

MILK MACHINES 8x12 Giclee Edition of 50 (c) Margery Caggiano

Milk Machines was never a painting as such, so technically doesn't qualify as a Giclee. It started out as a watercolor, unsuccessful as usual (I try) then pastels over, then acrylics over that. (I get stubborn about some images.) The mountains were added later, when we moved to Virginia.

So there.

4 comments:

  1. Margery,
    Love it..all of it....I am smiling.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love cows...love love love these images. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the story and the pictures!! There is a dryness to your writing that appeals to me greatly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aahh yes cows.I don't have to think about a likeness. I never had a cow ask me to make her lashes longer.
    Although if she paid, I would.

    ReplyDelete