WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Nov 15, 2009

LOVE LANE GALLERY

CECILY 8" x 10" Oil on Canvas (c) Margery Caggiano

I had previously invested in a bunch of 8 x 10 x 1.5 " pre-primed canvases that are a nice change from doing my own stretching, priming etc, but I'm not entirely happy with what is called "the mechanical look" (weave) of the surface, so I've been giving them another two coats of gesso, using a foam brush, then sanding. Not perfect, but it helps.
I've also been experimenting with closeups, using (sometimes) unposed, candid photos. The challenge I've set for myself is dealing with flat or overhead lighting, and trying to do them in a day. Sometimes it works out.
This particular photo was taken at the Love Lane Gallery in Mattituck LI, and Cecily, being the owner, was behind the counter at the time, pouring wine. Living dangerously, because some idiot decided that it was illegal to serve wine without a liquor licence. State? County?or local law. Strange that it only became an issue when the Long Island wineries took root, so to speak. At any rate, the media being the only message these days, I figure getting raided would be a good thing. Just think of that delicious headline "Love Lane Establishment Raided !"
I still remember (see?) an East Hampton artist (Robert Gwathmey I think, father of the architect), getting a lot of Coverage with a capital C for using the US flag in a work of art.

2 comments:

  1. Why was it named "LOVE LANE"?

    Great work on the portrait.
    Wanna paint me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know the origin of the name, and don't think I should guess. I do know the street sign keeps getting stolen for obvious reasons.I added a YouTube link on the blog that shows a new sign being installed.
    Paint you? Sure

    ReplyDelete