WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Dec 3, 2009

JEAN

JEAN, COOKING 10 x 8" Oil on Canvas (c) Margery Caggiano
Jean is more than a good cook, she's an excellent graphic designer. And painter.


I'm having a good time (and re-learning) applying oil paint from scratch after all the years of acrylics, or oils over the acrylics.The acrylics are good for underpainting, (not thick and glossy though) and they accept oil paint very nicely.

Now, however, I'm finding the acrylic gessoed pre-stretched canvas too absorbant for oils without that acrylic underpainting, so I give the canvas a coat of retouch varnish-a 50/50 mix of dammar varnish and turps, and let it dry. Much better.

I decided to stop cleaning the plate glass I use for a palette. It's a pain, even with a window scraper. So I've been tearing off 12" lengths of freezer paper, which is plastic coated, then stapling 8 or so to a piece of train board I had. Works out well. I don't like the white, however, it throws your values off, but I understand one company is (finally) making the disposable palette pads a neutral gray.

By the way, awhile back I said that mineral spirits are fine, you don't need turpentine. No one called me on that. If you are making your own medium or retouch varnish, mineral spirits won't dissolve dammar varnish, just turps. Live and learn.

Now if I only had the discipline to clean the brushes and not leave them standing in mineral spirits. To wipe the threads of the paint tubes and put the caps back on immediately and to

blah blah blah blah ....

No comments:

Post a Comment