WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Jan 30, 2010

RUMP OF REINDEER

THE GOLDEN CALF Damien Hirst

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked. Am I so out of the loop when it comes to even reading about the Artworld with a capital A that I hadn't heard of a Christies' spinoff gallery named Haunch of Venison? Don't believe me? Google it.

Should I also be shocked that Damien Hirst has gotten very rich and very famous by dropping a whole, and large, animal (dead I hope) into a tank of formaldehyde?
( I wonder how and where he signed it?)
Or how about the Brooklyn Museum receiving a million dollars worth of publicity in 1999, displaying, among other controversial works of art, a painting of The Virgin Mary done with elephant dung? Actually, like a lot of other deliberately shocking exhibitions, the publicity raised the value of the art, and in this case, Charles Saatchi, whose collection it was, benefited hugely. Fanning the flames was an enraged Rudy Guiliani, who tried to stop the public funding, and even evict the museum from its city- owned building. Unsuccessfully, I might add. Protecting one of those pesky amendments was paramount. Australia flat out refused to let the traveling exhibition in the country. I like their wine too.
P.T.Barnum (or more likely,H.L. Mencken) said that
" You'll never go broke underestimating the taste of the American public"
I'd like to change that to
"You'll never go broke underestimating the power of publicity"

2 comments:

  1. The words won't come to comment, perhaps it's best that they don't!

    ReplyDelete