WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Feb 15, 2010

I DON"T THINK SO

ORANGE FIELD 8 x 10" Oil on Board (C) Margery Caggiano
When I do something fast and colorful and easy to live with-I wonder why I don't do more like this, and more often.
Am I such a masochist that I have to agonize over a painting before I take it seriously?
I've always tended to dismiss paintings that seem to come too easily, possibly afraid of becoming facile. Yeah, so?
This was done on gessoed masonite, starting with a brush and then what the hell, laying the paint on with a painting knife.
It's only PAINT, after all.
As a result of the painting being on my website, I got an email from a "student" in the Midwest who liked it and asked if I'd send her a larger image, meaning (she hoped) higher resolution.
To repeat. I don't think so .

7 comments:

  1. The question you brought up is interesting...and I am certain that you are not the only one who thinks that way. I think the confidence to be able to have that attitude, comes from the seriousness of purpose which brought the facility to the tools to get this 'fresh' result.
    You should do more like it. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!!
    The colors are wonderful.
    Well done.
    xx,b

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand about not trusting the easy ones, they give me a false sense of my ability, then when I have to work at it, I think I'm a phony.
    Yes, keeping the resolution low is always a good idea. I've seen some of my work in places that never bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cathyann, and Barbara.But I think Eva nailed it as far as a "false sense of my ability." Although it could be argued that it ain't easy being easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! Have read and enjoyed it for almost an hour... your paintings are beautiful, your writing delightful and so much information on the art world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Carole, you made my day.
    And I bet I have more snow than you do

    ReplyDelete