WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Mar 12, 2010

ITS JUST PAINT

SUNSET FIELD 10 x 8" Oil on Panel (c) Margery Caggiano
I tell myself that as I'm laying the paint on with a knife. Forget the cost, get over it, if it doesn't do the job, scrape it off and mix it up and put it somewhere else. Best to work on a few paintings at a time in that case. Like an explorer that never leaves the room, you never know what's over the hill. Better yet is the Gump approach, painting with a knife is like a box of chocolates- you never know what you're going to get.
My first teaching experience was an adult ed class. One lady confessed that the cake decorating class was full, so she took the painting class. (A hint of things to come in the World of Art) I don't remember what or how she painted, which may be just as well.
Once in awhile I'll see an article about a painter that lays it on not with a knife, but with a trowel. But you don't get points for bravura, or how thick the paint is.
It either works, or it doesn't.
I was amazed to turn to PBS (anything but more commercials, which has come to be an hour of commercials with ten minutes of programming) and see that white guy with the Afro still painting with a knife after 40 + years. I confess that I watched with much interest.
Very cool

5 comments:

  1. It's the artistic side warring with the practical. You won this round! Love this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be "just paint", but it's talent that makes it "a painting".

    Try telling an author that it's "just words".
    Try telling a sculpter that its "just marble".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction...that should read "sculptor".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Elizabeth.
    B-how'd you know I wanted to correct your spelling?
    By telling myself that "its only paint", the intent is to know I can scrape it off, do whatever I please with it and not let it control my decisions.Not an attempt at being self-effacing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back when we used to have to take film to a lab for processing, a nice young man who worked there was admiring my photos. When he found out I was a painter, he innocently (and enthusiastically!) asked if I "was as good as 'that guy' on TV-- you know, the one that can do a whole landscape in half an hour!"

    I shook my head in mock sadness and admitted, "No, Curtis; I'm Just. Not. That. Good." It still makes me laugh to remember it.

    ReplyDelete