WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Mar 14, 2010

THE PRINCE

SANDYS PORTRAIT detail Acrylic on Canvas (c)1975 Margery Caggiano
This is a detail of an (approx) 40 x 38" painting that was my attempt at a portrait that was comprised of Things. (I apologize for the uneven color quality of the slide)
Sandy was an engineer, a carpenter, an artist, a perfectionist. A sweet and unique friend.
The jars were of skin color, hair color, and the jar of stripes was his shirt. (oh how clever)
For all that -I know he was disappointed to be painted this way.
Later, he turned away from his splendid- I thought- large oil paintings for reasons of his own-saying only that he liked to do too many other things. He gave me a few of the stretcher frames he had made for himself. One was 72 x 54", ultimately used for a painting of mine named Telechron, which was also about things, symbols, that had meanings for me. Later still, one was used for a for-real self-portrait, also 72" x 54". Both paintings using Sandys' stretchers are in the Archive section on my website.
THE PRINCE (For Sandy) 18 x 14 (?) Acrylic on Canvas (C)1975 Margery Caggiano
In memory of Alexander Bainbridge of East Hampton, NY, who passed away on March 12, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment