WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Dec 23, 2011

WOLF KAHN

                                      
In 1997 there was a small family reunion, don't ask, in California.
(The people were normal size, just not many of us.)
We stayed in a motel in Laguna Beach, a real treat for me. It had a balcony that overlooked the Pacific ocean. The first morning I sat contentedly drinking coffee and waiting for the sunrise. Duh. After a lifetime of sunrises over the Atlantic I felt entitled to forgive myself.
I decided to explore the town and stopped short at a gallery filled with a wonderful explosion of color, it was if I had died and gone to art heaven.
I had stumbled on a solo show of one of my favorite landscape painters, Wolf Kahn, and the gallery was The Diane Nelson Gallery. Not a single painting, or a book, or Google Images, but the real thing wall to wall.Wow.
Dancing Trees    20x28 Pastel  by Wolf Kahn
I don't know that a museum show would have had the same impact. There is something about large paintings in an intimate setting that pull you in.
Much has been written about his lush pastels, his lyrical landscapes, but I'll let a few images and my memories fill this space.
Later that same day I went back to the gallery with my son and his fiance.He saw my excitement I guess, and went to the desk to ask about the price of a particular painting I was in love with.(I had a birthday coming up)
                                  HO $40,000. or so HO
Freud,schmoid, as long as he's a good boy and loves his Momma.? Oh well.
Wolf Kahn at work
What I originally intended to blog about, an uncharitable piece about all the little Wolf Kahn Wannabees out there, etc, will have to be Part Two. In the course of researching dates etc I discovered that Wolf Kahn is currently showing at the Addison Ripley Gallery in DC. 12/9/2011 to 1/21/2012
Now is that serendipitous or what?
                                       Now to get myself there.

No comments:

Post a Comment