WELCOME

This will be about my views on what it takes to put a three dimensional world onto a two dimensional surface. With a lot of digressing.
Don't forget to leave a comment, or a question if you have one, below the post. Thanks.

Margery

Jan 14, 2013

OPEN ACRYLICS

I've been experimenting with Goldens' Open Acrylics, on the endless quest for the perfect medium. So far the jury is still out.
TWO NINETY NINE    Acrylic on Board   8 x 10

I thought I had pretty much found the solution, for me, of a relatively thin acrylic painting done on stretched linen. I've always used gesso in place of Titanium white, believing the mixes to be more matte, and a little tougher. This was the under painting, then oils were painted over, usually, but not always, as transparent glazes .
The beauty of this technique is the ability to retain the under painting in the event a passage doesn't work out.
The pleasure (I refuse to say Joy) of painting is first being comfortable with the medium. However the "Open" acrylics are too easily picked up with the next brushstroke, and too glossy for my taste.
It's a little early to dismiss them, especially when I've bought a bunch. So my next try will be the Open acrylics over the regular fluids that I use. The easier glazing and scumbling may be the answer.
Why are reflections so much fun? 

No comments:

Post a Comment